First day
Thursday was my first official day at the clinic. It was a slow day and we finished by 1pm even though it was the vaccination day for a predetermined number of neighboring villages.
I saw about 8 patients including one poor kid who needed incision & drainage of painful fingertip infections on BOTH hands from working in the farm field. I didn't have my own interpreter today so it was quite challenging but Teresa and I share a big exam room with two desks so she helped me whenever I got stuck. In total we had three malaria patients today so we know the season is upon us.
I saw about 8 patients including one poor kid who needed incision & drainage of painful fingertip infections on BOTH hands from working in the farm field. I didn't have my own interpreter today so it was quite challenging but Teresa and I share a big exam room with two desks so she helped me whenever I got stuck. In total we had three malaria patients today so we know the season is upon us.
Since it was my first day T treated me to a tasty bean sandwich for lunch. She calls it the "West African burrito" with its mashed beans and greasy & spicy sauce on it.
After all the patients were gone T showed me all the work she does each day to cash out and restock the pharmacy. I helped a little by counting the cash box and restocking the antenatal meds. I hope I can soon help her more with this daily chore.
There are a lot of differences here as expected. Of note: urine samples are collected in recycled yogurt cups or plastic Dixie cups (no lids!), immunizations & injections are given without alcohol prep of the skin, and pregnancy tests cost $0.50 here!
Here is a patient who is quite dressed up for her baby's first vaccination visit; check out her infant's beaded wig!

<< Home